Der Originalartikel befindet sich unter:
== Wöchentlicher PostgreSQL Newsletter - 06. Juli 2008 ==
Das Juli-Commitfest hat begonnen. Jetzt aber reviewen :)
== PostgreSQL Produkt Neuigkeiten ==
MicroOLAP Database Designer 1.2.4 für PostgreSQL erschienen.
== PostgreSQL Jobs im Juli ==
== PostgreSQL Lokal ==
pgDay Portland ist am 20. Juli. genau vor der OSCON.
PGCon Brazil 2008 wird vom 26.-27. September auf dem Unicamp in
PGDay.IT 2008 wird am 17. und 18. Oktober in Prato stattfinden.
== PostgreSQL in den News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/
General Bits, Archive und gelegentliche News Artikel:
Dieser wöchentliche PostgreSQL Newsletter wurde erstellt von David
Sende Neuigkeiten und Ankündigungen bis Sonntag, 15 Uhr Pazifischer
Zeit. Bitte sende englische Beiträge an firstname.lastname@example.org, deutsche an
email@example.com, italienische an firstname.lastname@example.org.
== Angewandte Patches ==
Heikki Linnakangas committed:
- Turn PGBE_ACTIVITY_SIZE into a GUC variable,
track_activity_query_size. As the buffer could now be a lot larger than
before, and copying it could thus be a lot more expensive than before,
use strcpy instead of memcpy to copy the query string, as was already
suggested in comments. Also, only copy the PgBackendStatus struct and
string if the slot is in use. Patch by Thomas Lee, with some changes
- Extend VacAttrStats to allow typanalyze functions to store statistic
values of different types than the underlying column. The capability
isn't yet used for anything, but will be required by upcoming patch
to analyze tsvector columns. Jan Urbanski
- In pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c, move volatility, language, etc.
modifiers before function body in the pg_dump output for CREATE
FUNCTION. This makes it easier to read especially if the function
body is long. Original idea and patch by Greg Sabino Mullane,
though this is a stripped down version of that.
Teodor Sigaev committed:
- ltree support for multibyte encodings. Patch was made by Weiping
(laser) He, with some editorization by me.
- In pgsql/src/backend/access/gin/ginscan.c, fix initialization of
Bruce Momjian committed:
- Add psql TODO item: "Add option to wrap column values at whitespace
boundaries, rather than chopping them at a fixed width. Currently,
'wrapped' format chops values into fixed widths. Perhaps the word
wrapping could use the same algorithm documented in the W3C
- Add psql TODO item: "Add 'auto' expanded mode that outputs in
expanded format if "wrapped" mode can't wrap the output to the
- Fix recovery.conf boolean variables to take the same range of string
values as postgresql.conf.
- Issue psql connection warnings on connection start and via \c, per
observation by David Fetter.
- Add to TODO: "Fix TRUNCATE ... RESTART IDENTITY so its affect on
sequences is rolled back on transaction abort."
- Add URL for TODO: "Add database and transaction-level triggers."
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/config.sgml, documentation patch by Kevin L.
McBride explaining GUC lock variables, which are available if
LOCK_DEBUG is defined.
- In pgsql/src/include/c.h, update source code comment about when to
Tom Lane committed:
- Teach autovacuum how to determine whether a temp table belongs to a
crashed backend. If so, send a LOG message to the postmaster log,
and if the table is beyond the vacuum-for-wraparound horizon,
forcibly drop it. Per recent discussions. Perhaps we ought to
back-patch this, but it probably needs to age a bit in HEAD first.
- In pgsql/src/timezone/pgtz.c, fix identify_system_timezone() so that
it tests the behavior of the system timezone setting in the current
year and for 100 years back, rather than always examining years
1904-2004. The original coding would have problems distinguishing
zones whose behavior diverged only after 2004; which is a situation
we will surely face sometime, if it's not out there already. In
passing, also prevent selection of the dummy "Factory" timezone,
even if that's exactly what the system is using. Reporting time as
GMT seems better than that.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, remove GUC extra_desc strings
that are redundant with the enum value lists.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/xml.c, fix transaction-lifespan
memory leak in xpath(). Report by Matt Magoffin, fix by Kris Jurka.
- Fix psql's \d and allied commands to work with all server versions
back to 7.4. Guillaume Lelarge, with some additional fixes by me.
- Add a function pg_get_keywords() to let clients find out the set of
keywords known to the SQL parser. Dave Page
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, prevent integer overflows
during units conversion when displaying a GUC variable that has
units. Per report from Stefan Kaltenbrunner. Backport to 8.2. I
also backported my patch of 2007-06-21 that prevented comparable
overflows on the input side, since that now seems to have enough
field track record to be back-patched safely. That patch included
addition of hints listing the available unit names, which I did not
bother to strip out of it --- this will make a little more work for
the translators, but they can copy the translation from 8.3, and
anyway an untranslated hint is better than no hint.
Magnus Hagander committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, split apart
message_level_options into one set for server-side settings and one for
client-side, restoring the previous behaviour with different sort order
for the 'log' level. Also, remove redundant list of available options,
since the enum code will output it automatically.
- In pgsql/src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, "debug" level was supposed to
be hidden, since it's just an alias for debug2.
- In pgsql/src/backend/port/win32_shmem.c, fix a couple of bugs in
win32 shmem name generation: 1. Don't cut off the prefix. With this
fix, it's again readable. 2. Properly store it in the Global
namespace as intended.
Joe Conway committed:
- When an ERROR happens on a dblink remote connection, take pains to
pass the ERROR message components locally, including using the
passed SQLSTATE. Also wrap the passed info in an appropriate
CONTEXT message. Addresses complaint by Henry Combrinck. Joe
Conway, with much good advice from Tom Lane.
Peter Eisentraut committed:
- In pgsql/src/test/regress/expected/prepare.out, clean up weird
whitespace. Separate patch to simplifiy the next change.
- Don't print the name of the database in psql \z.
- Don't refer to the database name "regression" inside the regression
test scripts, to allow running the test successfully with another
== Abgelehnte Patches (bis jetzt) ==
No one was disappointed this week :-)
== Eingesandte Patches ==
Simon Riggs sent in a patch which introduces a distinction between
hint bit setting and block dirtying, when such a distinction can
safely be made.
Simon Riggs sent in a patch which adds planner statistic hooks.
Tom Raney sent in another revision of his patch to allow EXPLAIN to
Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to let people set the name of the
regression test database on the command line.
Teodor Sigaev sent in revisions to the multicolumn and fast-insert
patches to GIN.
Dean Rasheed sent in a patch to add a debug_explain_plan GUC variable
which, when set to on, dumps the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE to the
appropriate logging level.
Zdenek Kotala sent in three more revisions of his page macros cleanup
Garick Hamlin sent in a patch to support ident authentication when
using unix domain sockets on Solaris.
Simon Riggs sent in a bug fix for pg_standby per note from Ferenc
Simon Riggs sent in two revisions of a patch to document the
toggliness of certain psql commands.
Simon Riggs sent in a patch to pgbench which restricts vacuuming to
pgbench tables and changes a DELETE/VACUUM to a TRUNCATE.