It was time to update my laptop, and I already knew that the update will bring Snap, and installs the Snap Firefox version. Along with many known problems.
Every time I peek into the webserver logfiles, I find quite a few 404 requests trying to figure out if certain exploits exist on this server. Now I get that these are automated attempts, and the number of requests coming from one IP show that they try several different exploits and path names. Nevertheless I thought that I don’t need this in my log, and on my webserver. fail2ban for the rescue.
This month's #PGSQLPhriday topic: pick your three favorite or most important best pratices for #PostgreSQL. Tell them in a form that two are true, one is a lie. See if you can spot which one is true and which one is false. The resolution is at the end of this blog posting.
Had a somewhat curious situation: need to run a task in Ansible in different user accounts, but I don't have 'sudo' or 'su' access, only ssh access for every account. Took me a moment to figure out how to do that.
For one of my *Ansible* Playbooks I need the group name associated with a specific group id. Turns out there is not much documentation online how to do this, and I had to test it out.
For one project I need to insert the content of a local file into another file on the remote system, and the first file happens to be JSON. The JSON file is in compact format and is supposed to stay this way. When Ansible reads the content of the file, it determines that the content is JSON, and parses the content into the variable - and along the way is uncompressing the format. Not what I want. To keep the file content as string, it is necessary to tell Ansible to handle this as string.
Was running in a stupid problem where Ansible (version 2.9.x) throws an error when a variable is defined.
For testing I did spin up a couple of new virtual (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) instances, installed PostgreSQL, and wanted to copy over a '.sql' file to install in the database. And ran into a meaningless error message.
Ansible has a very useful module 'postgresql_ping' which checks connectivity to the database server. I'm using it in quite a few Playbooks as first step just to ensure that the database server is present - this fails early if there is a problem which otherwise just prevents the rest of the Playbook to work properly.
Found a couple more bots crawling my website, and from the look at online resources it seems I catched a few of the bad guys. Crawlers which ignore the robots.txt standard, and just crawl a website for content. Decided to do something against it, and added a filter in Apache2.